Monday, January 27, 2014

I use Equilibrium and have been doing so for years. If you are keeping Cherries, Blue Pearl, Amano,


What are your thoughts on using it? I hear pros and cons. Some say the sulfates can contribute to anaerobic conditions in the soil, others use it with no problems. I bought some but haven't used it yet. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4  
Senior Member
No experience with it here, but if Seachem put their logo on a bottle of dog waist and it would fix my problem, I'd give it a shot. But I'm also very cheap, and I would likely just but the dry ingredients if I was routinely reconstituting RODI.  
Haha! I have the dry ingredients ingredients too (and a scale). Haven't used either yet. I have bags of crushed oyster shell in canister filter, but it doesn't seem to do much. I need to compromise the GH between the needs of my Tetras and the needs of my snails/shrimp. I don't have RO water, just very soft water. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4  
I use Equilibrium and have been doing so for years. If you are keeping Cherries, Blue Pearl, Amano, london fashion week or some of the less sensitive shrimp, it's not a problem. I also add a KH buffer Kent PH stable to all my tanks. I use pressurized CO2 on my tanks and have extremely soft tap water. Best regards, Stuart  
Do you have a dirt substrate? I finally found where I read that it causes a problem with dirt - it was in Diana Walstad's book. She states that the sulfate salts are converted to H2S by soil bacteria. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4  
 
Do you have a dirt substrate? I finally found where I read that it causes a problem with dirt - it was in Diana Walstad's book. She states that the sulfate salts are converted to H2S by soil bacteria. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Unless you can find sulfate free fish food (impossible) and sulfate free trace mix (almost impossible unless you make it yourself) you'll have sulfate in your water. I don't think this product will change anything for the worse. H2S is only produced in anaerobic environments. This means that as long as your substrate is water permeable and/or lots of plants with long roots that produce oxygen, this isn't going to happen. I know people worship this book, and I didn't read it so I can't comment on this, but if it states what you say above, I think the problem was something else. I've seen it happen in reef tanks with thick substrates as well. No water movement in the substrate, no plants to provide oxygen, lots of organics (fish feces and food left overs) and it went wrong. The same tank with some snails and sea stars that uproot the substrate and no H2S. IMO as long as you setup the substrate right and prevent anaerobic circumstances, it will be no problem, with or without this product.  
:
In case anyone is interested, here is what Seachem had to say in response to an email I sent them: ************************************************** ********************* "Thank you for your email. When used as recommended, Equilibrium is safe for all aquarium inhabitants london fashion week (including shrimp species) It will only add trace levels of elements to the system which will replenish only the beneficial nutrients to your system, london fashion week and is designed to be used in a planted aquarium. I do not have any reports of the sulfate blends included in equilibrium causing any specific conditions in dirt substrate, but if you have any first hand data on this as it pertains to your system we would be happy to look over it." Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk london fashion week 4  
You may not post new threads You may not post replies You may not post attachments You may not edit your posts BB code is On Smilies are On [IMG] code is On HTML code is Off Trackbacks are On Pingbacks are On Refbacks are On Forum Rules
LinkBack LinkBack URL About LinkBacks Bookmark & Share Digg this Thread! Add Thread to del.icio.us Bookmark in Technorati

No comments:

Post a Comment